Written by Matthew Huddleston
Dozens of local volunteers turned out Saturday to lend a hand in day one of a two week ‘Women Build’ project with the Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity. Dressed in pink hardhats and shirts, workers spent the afternoon nailing plywood to the home’s exterior. Organizers say they had some first-time volunteers but many have been helping with Habitat for years.
Team leader Jessica Humphries says it’s hard work in the hot sun but says it’s one of her favorite events of the year. “It’s just a great way to give back,” Humphries said. “With this women empowering women to provide a safe, reliable place for them to live and be able to provide for their families.”
Since 1991, Women Build volunteers from all walks of life have come together to build stronger, safer communities.
## **Women Build events**
Our Women Build events provide the opportunity for women to take a proactive step in serving their communities.
Women Build opportunities are available across the U.S., and any woman who wants to learn how to build and construct a home is invited to join us. No experience is necessary. Volunteers work under the guidance of construction professionals, and also alongside other volunteers and future Habitat homeowners. Whether you are learning new skills or simply adding a few to your tool belt, this is a rewarding experience for all involved, and improves the community that you share.
Women Build is also a terrific way to involve your friends and family of all ages in crucial work with a lasting impact. Women helping women sends a positive and powerful message. You can also come alone, and make new friends. The atmosphere is collaborative and friendly.
### **There are several ways you can get involved**
– Learn new construction skills needed to effectively contribute to Habitat’s mission.
– Build or renovate houses at a Women Build event.
– Join other community volunteers and homeowners to build strength and stability through shelter.
– [Search for your local Habitat](https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/near-you/find-your-local-habitat) to find out if a Women Build is occurring near you.
– Learn about [Women Build’s international work](https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/near-you/women-build/international).
– Join an international Women Build trip with [Global Village](https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/travel-and-build/global-village/trips).
– Organize a Women Build event through your campus chapter. [Contact us](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more.
– [Donate](https://www.habitat.org/donate/?link=3) to Women Build.